Thursday 14 April 2011

Kitted Up

I spent yesterday evening working out what we should take with us on the Atomic Ride. This wasn't as easy as you might think. Sure, well padded shorts and plenty of chamois cream were pretty high up on the list, but trying to predict every eventuality was tough. It's not like Spring is the most predictable of seasons, or there's much in common weatherwise between northern Scotland and the southeast of England.

Couple this with the fact that we want to be practical on the bike, but not look like twats off it, and the pile of clothing soon mounted up. I also had to factor in all the potential mechanical breakdowns we could have. I could almost build a whole new bike with all the spares I'm taking.

By midnight I was surrounded by kit, like William Boot in Scoop, needing only a collapsable canoe and cleft stick to complete the look.

Still, five days to whittle it down to managable proportions. Maybe I should go to the other extreme and take nothing but a Swiss Army penknife? I'll carve myself some clothes along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment